The LRT construction team is providing an update for ongoing construction on Holly Acres Rd. and the HWY 416/417 Ramp intersection at Holly Acres Rd. The attached information is of particular impact for pedestrians and cyclists using Holly Acres Rd.
There are two time periods during which access is altered for both pedestrians and cyclists. These are
- Until completion of this phase of construction on April 24 and
- The second phase commencing on April 24.
The most disruptive aspect of this construction is at the 416/417 Ramp intersection with Holly Acres Rd. where pedestrians and cyclists will have NO ability to cross the intersection on the west side and NO ability to cross over at the intersection to the east side.
The east side multi use pathway (MUP) at this intersection will have a temporary bypass around the construction activity.
The most disrupted access is for pedestrians using the pathway northbound or southbound (the John Sutherland Dr. MUP) which is above the Shouldice Farm field. Cyclists and pedestrians connecting to/from the John Sutherland Dr. MUP will be required to travel east to the Richmond Rd./ Holly Acres Rd. intersection to cross over to the alternate MUP on Holly Acres Rd., then heading westbound back to the 416/417 intersection from which they have travelled.
This confusing information is best seen on the attached map provided courtesy of Bike Ottawa.
Bike Ottawa is also seeking additional clarifications with respect to status of the intersection and the crossings for cyclists from April 24.
We will continue to keep you updated on information as we receive it.
As a further point of information, we have requested from KEV, the city Stage 2 LRT staff, and from Councilor Kavanagh, precise updated information on a number of items with respect to the LRT construction between Bayshore Station and the Light Maintenance and Storage Facility now under construction west of Moodie Drive. We will be providing to the community a detailed summary of information provided from them next month
Ian McConnachie, Chair
Transportation, Transit and Infrastructure Committee
Information as Provided by KEV Construction
Between now and 04/24 KEV will be removing intersection crossing markings and signage as the area gets transitioned. Other changes and work will also be taking place.
Followed by further changes after 04/24, which is also the Transitway closure date between Pinecrest interchange and Bayshore Mall.
Below are two stages outlining the changes from our traffic team
Pre-Stage 1A Conditions – ASAP until April 24, 2022
- SB Holly Acres Rd cyclists will cross to the East MUP from the NW corner of the Holly Acre Rd and Transitway intersection where they will stay until Richmond Rd the head south
- SB Holly Acres Rd Cyclist that want to use the John Sutherland Dr MUP that is at the SW corner of the Holly Acres and HWY 416/417 Ramp intersection must continue south to the Richmond Rd and Holly Acres Rd intersection and use the North leg to cross and then head back NB to the MUP
- NB Holly Acres Rd Cyclists will need to cross to the East MUP from the NW Corner of the Richmond Rd and Holly Acres Intersection unless they are heading to the bus stop near the Holly Acres and HWY 416/417 Ramp intersection (on the SW corner)
- Cyclists coming from the John Sutherland Dr MUP that is at the SW corner of the Holly Acres and HWY 416/417 Ramp intersection (on the SW corner) that want to continue north will need to head south of the Richmond Rd and Holly Acres Intersection where they will use the North Leg crosswalk to access the East MUP on Holly Acres Rd to continue North
Stage 1A Conditions – Starting from April 24, 2022
- SB Cyclists will cross to the East MUP from the NW corner of the Holly Acre Rd and Transitway intersection. At the Holly Acres and HWY 416/417 Ramp intersection they can use the North Leg and West Leg crosswalks to access the MUP that heads south to John Sutherland Dr
- NB Holly Acres Rd Cyclists coming from Richmond Rd and Holly Acres Rd intersection can head north on either the West or East MUP and use the new west leg and north leg crosswalk to access the East MUP
- Cyclists coming from the John Sutherland Dr MUP that is at the SW corner of the Holly Acres and HWY 416/417 Ramp intersection (on the SW corner) that want to continue north will be able to cross the West leg crosswalk and then the north leg at the new Holly Acres and HWY 416/417 Ramp intersection to access the East MUP continue north of Holly Acres Rd